Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Too Windy For Kites!




So we were kiting again. If it seems like that's all we do, it's probably because it is. At least for now, because it is March, and therefore windy, and we now have kite fishers.




Actually, that windy thing kind of turned out to be a problem. We were having trouble flying kites because it was too windy. I noticed the windy conditions on my way to class today; it was gorgeous, mid seventies, with good strong winds. I almost skipped class to go fly kites, but I decided I might as well go, so I sat through Spanish, staring outside, feeling the wind through all the open windows on my face, wishing I was outside.



finally, I was able to go outside and go back to Mount Airy for some kite flying action. Of course, by then, it had become overcast, and looked like a storm was blowing in. But that of course never stops us.



Well, despite our awesome kite fishers, our kites failed to stand up to the sheer force of the wind. They tend to fly out almost completely horizontally, as opposed to the preferred, you know, vertical flight, and then, they just turn over and take a nose dive into the dirt. It's frustrating. And then, the kite abomination. Owly McBird and Elmo started going at it, and once they got tangled up, there was really nothing to do but watch. Then, Spiderman got sucked in, and things got ugly.


Their tails are a lost cause. Ben even had to amputate Optimus Prime's to prevent him from getting sucked into the ever growing tangled mess that was the kite abomination. Mostly though, it was a beautiful day, and we got some great pictures.



Also, we believe we found evidence of some great bird, or mayhaps a dinosaur. Check these tracks out.




Oh yeah, and we took Roma with us. It was depressing, because I had to teach him how to fly a kite. I thought those were skills everyone was born with, but maybe that's just an american thing. Anyways, I wasn't there when it happened, so I can't fully understand why, but somehow, he managed to get his kite stuck in not one, not two, not three, but at least six trees. It was like a kite eating forest, I guess. It seemed reasonable, well not reasonable, getting a kite stuck in more than one tree is never reasonable, but plausible, as the trees were all in a line in the path of the wind. But after his kite cruised through the trees in a row, it turned around and looped backwards, against the wind, to get stuck in three more trees.



That's him, trying to get it out of the last tree it got stuck in. The string is still up the rest of them, and I found it fitting that a Spiderman kite left webbing everywhere. Man, I wish I had been there, but I was busy almost getting eaten by a small dog. Yeah, it's exactly what it sounds like.





1 comment:

  1. Dope shots, brah, or Ben - whoever took them. I love those kinds of days where the light gets like that. Kind of makes me want to have my kids make their own kites and set sail with them out over the Passamaquoddy Bay. That'd be a pretty sweet scene. Actually, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Starting next week: Kite Unit.

    ReplyDelete