Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jo's Quest



Every spring we go through this. Jo, for whatever reason, decides she needs to find her birth mom.

This is, surprisingly less funny than it sounds. She can be very, very annoying when she wants something, and I know that when her food dish is full and she still insists on not letting me get any sleep, there is clearly a deeper issue.


Look at that face. How can you say no to that?

A bit of history. I got Jo over four years ago, back when I was working at the PetLoft. It was the near the end of my first summer, and some woman and her daughter came in with this tiny, tiny kitten. My boss guessed the little thing was probably only four weeks old, and since they're a pain to keep alive when they're that young without their mother's we had a policy of not taking them. My boss, Sarah, encouraged me to take it home with me for two weeks until it was old enough to bring back in and let it be the store's problem. And that's how I got stuck with this one.



Needless to say, I didn't take her back after two weeks. It wouldn't be fair to say I intended to keep her from the get go. After all, I didn't name her for a whole year.

But anyways, being seperated from her mother so young has left its mark on her. I have this one blanket that she likes to try and nurse on. I guess it reminds her of her mum, but still, I keep telling her she is way too old for that to be cute, but does she ever listen to me?

So finally, in the interest of getting a full night's sleep, I looked into those organizations that help reunite seperated parents and children. It took me awhile, but I found an organization based in D.C. that seemed pretty legit, and was about to give them a call.

Now, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to talk on the phone. Not being able to see the other person doesn't do wonders for me, so I like to mentally map out where the conversation will possibly go. And no matter how I looked at it, I was pretty sure I was going to be making a prank call.

"My friend Josie is looking to find her birth mom. It's difficult for her, so I'm helping out."

"Does she know where her birth mother might be."

"No. Some woman found her on the side of the road when she was like, four weeks old, and brought her to my store, so I took her in."

From here, things start going downhill. I have no idea what I would say to that, let alone what someone who does this kind of thing for a living would do. I almost called anyways, figuring I could just run with it, and worse case scenario, just hang up. What do I have to lose? Nothing really, but at the same time, this is an organization that is doing great things, and in the end, I really couldn't bear to waste someone's time for this. I considered sending an e-mail, but I'm still wasting someone's time, and I'm not likely to get a response.

But we'll get by. We always do. And pretty soon, it will be warm enough for me to leave the windows open at night, and she'll forget all about her lost mom, and be transfixed with the outside air. She is, after all, a cat.

1 comment:

  1. Might I suggest three songs to head this blog. All are by the glorious Miss Gillian Welch. They are, as follows: "Orphan Girl", "I Had a Good Mother and Father", and "Nobody Knows My Name". I think 'Sephine could relate, and who knows? Perhaps she'll aspire to become a singer-songwriter as a result.

    ReplyDelete