Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cunningham Falls


We heard this song on the way to Cunningham Falls, and immediately decided it had to be the song for this Blost.

So, Cunningham Falls. It took us far too long to find it. And not because of my expert ability to get lost (we did take an unnecessary detour through Frederick, compliments of my inability to get anywhere). My GPS figured that the address I found on the internet was a big rock on the side of the road, where it told me there was no parking any time. So we stopped at the closest parking area, which happened to be for a mostly frozen over lake, where some old dudes were fishing. This was less than interesting, we've seen our fair share of completely and partially frozen lakes, so we got back in Gizmo and turned around and backtracked to where we saw a visitor center.

We saw no signs pointing out the falls, so rather than ask in the visitor center, we just decided to follow the first stream we saw. This turned out to be less than wonderful, as we walked up to Blue Blazes Still, which was just lame. No moonshine. Just a couple of leaf filled barrels, and the path ended. We tried to continue to follow the stream, but that also ended.

Then we went up a big hill, and when there was nothing but more hill up top, we went back down. Then we went across the road to another, bigger stream, saw some more fishermen, both found different ways to cross that stream, followed it for a bit, skipped some rocks, skipped some more rocks, followed it somemore, found some big rocks, and didn't really do anything. We were about to call the day a bust, but then, we got got back in Giz, and drove a little bit farther until we saw signs promoting the falls we were there to see.

Good thing we did to.











The signs said swimming was prohibited, and walking on Maryland Route 77 is not allowed, but clmibing the rocks by the falls was only not advised. So of course we did.











I climbed up onto the huge rock in the middle of the falls, and, when realizing the tremendous view, beckoned for Ben. He got that I wanted him to take a picture of me, and did so, and then we proceeded to have a lengthy pantomime conversation, where I attempted to get him to come over and take some pictures, and he thought that it was too far away to be worth it. He finally came over, and admitted that I was right, which usually isn't the case, and even if it is, he usually won't admit it.











There was a picture somewhere of the falls, and they appeared much more impressive, but still, the ice everywhere had a cool effect. We'll have to return when it is warm. It was cold, and we had not had the forsight to dress more appropriately, and it was too cold to even consider doing something dumb enough to get me wet, which is where most of the fun usually comes in.


Also, I fell, somehow, and while I managed to avoid killing myself on that branch next to my head, I did stab myself pretty good on my thigh, and hit my bad shoulder. It hurt, a lot. Ben was quick to photgraph me on the ground in pain before helping me up. Admittedly, I would have done the same.

4 comments:

  1. I fully endorse that song. If you recall, it was the song that Mac used to challenge Dennis to a dance-off in The Gang Dances their Asses off.

    On a related note, I found this: http://musicovery.com/index3.php?ct=us
    It's a browser-based mp3 player that uses (I think) the music genome project (like Pandora), and an awesome Cartesian mood-plane and genre selector to create random playlists of music. I personally enjoy max dark/calm with only reggae selected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words do not express my delight in hearing Poison today. It'd been far too long and now, thanks to you, I will treat myself daily to a dose of BBD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it was a hit. I considered having another song for the restaurant review as well, but then figured most people would be still listening to Poison. Glad I figured correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have said I love Bel Biv Devoe. Cause I do.

    ReplyDelete