Saturday, February 14, 2009

Harper's Ferry

Maybe I'm an idiot, but when We're standing on something, and Ben gets out his camera and says jump, I usually have to. (There were a few exceptions, mostly when we were over open water, but other than that, yeah, I'll do it.)This was some cool stone, I guess formation is the word, but anyways, it wasn't too high, but I think there are some great shots of me flying through the air.


























It hurt, more than a little. Ben pointed out some rocks before I jumped, so I avoided those, but there were a bunch of small sticks which I didn't notice and he neglected to warn me of, so yeah, almost impaled myself on one of those. Still worth it though.






So anyways, we went to Harper's Ferry today. It was different, because we usually don't leave Mount Airy, but today we were in three different states! How's that for fancy?



This is, I believe, the Shenandoah. It was incredibly cold, and both earlier and later that day it was snowing, so I made a conscious effort to not get wet, so it's less exciting than usual.






And this, most inauspicious of trees, was the shoe tree. It was, a tree, covered in shoes.



And also, there was a flipper, so it wasn't really just a shoe tree, more a foot accessory tree.




And who am I to not follow these ancient customs?







We're the worst tourists ever! As we drove into Harper's Ferry, we pointed all the West Virginians, getting as excited as humanly possible. This was on the shore, where Ben was tyring not to be obvious about photographing some West Virginians, who were more likely than not, not actual West Virginians.





Here's another shot from a hidden vantage point of more West Virginians (These I'm almost positive were tourists; they were getting on a bus).














This was a pretty cool tunnel thing we found. This picture here is supposed to explain what it does, but I didn't get (read) it.





And that picture there in the bottom right corner, looked a little like Stephen King.





And, not wanting to go back out the way we came in, as it was dripping foul smelling water, we had to climb out. Ben had a bit more trouble with this one than I did.


"I am stuck in a hole."


"There's no footholes!"


"There are still no footholes!"


"I cannot get out!"


"I am so much worse at this than Taylor!"




Still, karma hates me.





And then we met... Herbert the duck. We'd seen plenty of Geese and Ducks on the water, but Herbert was different.
Herbert was awesome. We felt pretty bad, because we didn't have food, and he followed us down river until we turned around, and then tried to follow us back. We will be back Herbert, that is a promise, and next time, we will bring food.

4 comments:

  1. This was one of the funnier adventures I've had the pleasure to read. Here's hoping you guys keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are men of action. I respect this. You are also kind of dumbasses. This entertains me. This is a good combination. Keep the good stuff coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we're pretty dedicating. to what, I'm not sure, but don't worry, provided I don't end up in the hospital, it will keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonsense, I would never call an ambulance, you would end up dead. But then I would have plenty of neat pictures.

    ReplyDelete