Monday, April 13, 2009

Too Rich For My Blood


So, I decided to see if it wasn't too late for me to sign up for at least the Frederick Half Marathon. Turns out I can, but it is a whopping $65. Yeah the marathon itself is $80, so by my logic, half of that is $40, still too much. I can't wrap my head around it. I'm supposed to spend that kind of money, to put myself through that, when I can do it for free, not surrounded by hundreds of other people, all running, and tired, and sweaty.

I can see myself maybe paying for a marathon, to say I did it. But who brags about a half marathon? Hell, I've run fourteen miles before on the C&O Canal, and it's not something I go around bragging about (not anymore at least; the chics are not impressed by this fact, for some reason). So I will not be partaking in the Frederick Marathon, or half Marathon. The "Fun Run" was only $10, but since it didn't specify what the "Fun Run" was, I decided to forgo said "Fun Run", and I figure I'll get more exercise running around, cheering Kell on.

Still, $65 dollars doesn't seem unreasonable, but then again, my distaste for spending money is why I have the stockpile I have now. I actually got in the habit of not picking up my pay checks from work until I actually needed rent money, so I would let them build up for at least a month or more before going in and picking up a pile of my checks. However, I was unaware that at the store I'm at now, if you don't pick up your checks after three days, they mail them out. A convenient policy, when your address is correct. Mine, of course, is not, nor has it ever been, apparently.

Fortunately, I'm still running on cash moneys from Christmas, because my great grandmother Gigi gives more more cash a week than I can spend in a month. There are a bunch of things I want, but don't really need, like a guitar which I would like to play, and a camera which would take pictures for this blog, but eh, I don't need them.

But anyways, I figured out I had five paychecks, and these are two week paychecks, that had been mailed out to some wrong address, so I went to HR and and explained that I needed close to three thousand dollars of my own money, because I didn't need it enough to make sure I had it back in January, and because I'm an idiot.

So, I have that coming to me, which will be nice. I will not be taking it to my regular bank, Suntrust, because after my last experience there. I had an old check from my electric company from when they overcharged me, made out to Taylor Michael, and two paychecks from work, made out to Douglas Michael. The clerk looked them over, and then told me I had to sign the two checks made out to Douglas as Douglas. I started to, because I'm pretty compliant, and then stopped because I have no idea how to write the letter D in cursive. I wanted to ask her if they made people who's signature is illegible write it out, but then didn't feel like a confrontation, so I just wrote a D, put some squiggles on it, and finished the rest of my first name to the best of my ability, and handed them over. I've made a note to never take checks addressed to both of my alter egos again, but that's inconvenient. I don't need that. What I need is a new bank, and to pick up my money when I get it.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, the Pittsburgh marathon on-time registration was $85, and the Frederick one was only $75 on-time. I'm glad you'll get to run around though and maybe keep Mike and the kids company. Who knows what they'll be up to while I knock out 26.2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, I have to go to this. Extra Credit for my Fitness class if I cheer my professor. Mind giving me directions or a URL?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're taking a fitness class? Ha!

    ReplyDelete