Friday, April 3, 2009

More Fun In The Wind


We felt bad that we really having done anything besides fly kites lately, and since Ben made our Monthly goal for April to "Be less lame", so we decided to do something else. And of course, after a brief debate over what we should do, my only idea being build a windsurfer, and Ben's only idea being "apple" and "butter". Since I had no idea what he wanted to do with either of those things, and I'm pretty lazy, we ended up just flying kites. And because of said laziness, we stepped it up a bit.


The epitome of laziness right there.

We had brought the chairs from the get go, but as it started to rain, I went back to get the umbrella. I'm pretty sure next time, we'll have a boom box, a cooler full of drinks, and maybe a grill.




The water is nice. Problem is, when our kites crash, we have to actually use the fishing rods for their intended purpose. And Kites are not easy or fun to reel through the water.


I had to go in and get Ben's at one point because his line broke. Once I was already wet, I saw no reason not to stand around in the water.


We actually had some kids come up and ask us whether we were fishing or flying kites. Obviously both. Then, one of the kids proceeded to argue with us about whether or not their were fish in the pond. Considering the pond was bone dry a week ago, the kid assumed there couldn't be fish in there. I may have to go buy some cheap goldfish to put in there to support our argument that there are indeed fish in that pond.





Just some more shots of our wonderful set up.

At one point (I think I was getting my kite off of a neighbors roof) Ben discovered that I wouldn't even need to build a sail for my windsurfer, the umbrella would be more than enough. So, we headed back up and I immediately attempted to use wind to propel myself along on a skateboard.


It is hard to stand on a skateboard while holding onto an umbrella that is being pulled in the direction of the wind.

I suppose the sidewalk didn't help, but I can't see anything in front of me because of the umbrella, so instead of trying it on the street, I capitalized on an idea I had earlier on how to make said windsurfer without tools. This is what I got.



So, I decided that duct taping a scooter to the skateboard, so that I would have a pivoting handle. Apart from the whole using duct tape, it wasn't a terrible idea.


About twenty seconds later. As I said, duct tape wasn't my best idea, but I'm too lazy to use tools. after all, it was only a prototype.


Twenty seconds later again, I had managed to flip the umbrella inside out.




Ben of course, was no help. Despite how much I look like I'm enjoying myself, this was quite frustrating, and I hate Ben. Useless tool.



And then, I finally manage to get it working, if only for about fifteen feet. Ben of course, fails to capture this on film. He has no problem pulling out his camera when my moment of success turned into painful defeat.

So, I can see that it can work. For starters, I need a new umbrella, I kind of destroyed that one. Preferably, one that is clear, so that I can see. Also, I will utilize tools to better fix something to the skateboard. It can happen, and it will. I promise you this.

2 comments:

  1. Nice shots, as usual. Hey - did you get the tat pics I sent last night? I meant to call you to say they were there, but didn't. Hope all's well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think those kids will ever be the same after running into you two.

    ReplyDelete