Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Still Dancing with Groogrux King


The new Dave Matthews Band album came out today, Big Whiskey and the Groogrux king came out. I'm a pretty big DMB fan, not quite the caliber that Jo is, but they're pretty good. It's been rather easy to enjoy, since they've done a rather good job of marketing it, and I was able to catch their live performance last night a Beacon theater streaming commercial free on Hulu, and Hulu also has a bunch of stuff from them, from a documentary on the latest CD, to music videos, to live performances.

So, I bought the CD today, and I was tempted to play it in the car, but you never know if Giz is going to keep the CD's I put in her, or worse, chew them up, so waited. And I have to say, at first, I was mildly disappointed. After all the promotion, and the majority of the band agreeing that it was their best, I felt there was nothing that really compared to some of their greats like "Crash Into Me" or "Grey Street". SO I sat out in the sun for awhile and listened to it on repeat (and got a sunburn on the bottom of me feet. didn't know that could happen, and it finally began to click. It still doesn't have anything quite like the aforementioned songs, but as an album, it's really good. Not having really listened to any of their former albums as an album, together in order as they were originally, produced, I can't vouch for it being their best. It's hard to compare it to Dave's solo album, "Some Devil", which, with the exception of the title track, I am a huge fan, but him sans the band is just a different sound.



Not to mention the album art. It is fantastic. The polar bear might be my favorite, and that's just the cover. Suffice to say, it kept me rather amused for at least a whole run through.

I don't know, Jo and I enjoyed it. It was about time.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I fell off the DMB bandwagon about 9 years ago, but, in the words of Kevin McAllister, "I'll give it a whirl". Oh, and I'm a 3-time veteran of the Beacon Theater. Nice place.

    ReplyDelete