Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tat!


So it's done. I've been waiting, well, for a long time, but knowing for sure that it would happen, it's been about a month and a half.

I got my tattoo. And it is awesome!


By the way, I don't usually rock the sleeveless T. It's an awful look, second only to the sleeveless shirts that are ripped down to like an inch from the bottom, to show off the sides. But it is rather sore, and so I found the one shirt that I got from one of my sisters and my armpits had eaten such huge holes in the sleeves that they practically fell off.

For starters, I need to thank H, my sister, who drew the design for me. Initially unsupportive, but when I explained, she agreed, and put my idea on paper, in a medium my ideas rarely get translated too. My art is with words, not pictures, and seeing it come out as a picture, that was a great feeling. So thanks H, you're amazing.

However, you failed me initially, and your negativity was not wanted. So I need to thank Stephanie Dorsey, and also, to give her a shout out for her birthday. When Heather was initially being a Debbie Downer, I turned to a person who's support I was almost guaranteed, and who's support would actually mean something. No offense Ben, but you're support is worthless. She gave me the positive reception I wanted, and needed, and she went with me both to make the appointment and to when I actually got it done. And she kept it a secret, which is more than I can say for Heather. But Steph, she's one of my oldest friends, and it meant a lot to me.


Third, I need to thank the man who actually used a tiny fast moving needle to jam ink into skin, Alfie, of Marks Of The Spark. This guy, he is truly wonderful at what he does. His attention to detail is phenomenal, and amazingly, it turned out better than I had imagined, far better than I could have hoped for. He came highly recommended, and I recommend his to anyone looking to get a tattoo. You have to book well in advance, as I said, it took me about a month and half, but the wait was well worth it.


I suppose I should tell you what it is. Besides two guns and a sword. If you couldn't figure that one out, no need to read further.


Ben wants a tattoo, but he doesn't know what he wants. That just doesn't make sense to me. I had no desire whatsoever to put something that permanent on my body until I knew exactly what I wanted, and even then, it took me over a year to decide for sure to go through with it. I'm not a fan of meaningless ink. Even doing it for the sake of art, or having something that looks good, well, it had better look damn good. If there's no reason behind it, well, I just don't get it. Mine is a symbol, and more than that, it's a promise. A promise to a man named Eryk Valen, who's sword and gun's I will now bear forever on my left arm. I'm going to tell his story. And there's no backing out now. I have a permanent reminder of my purpose in life.


The farmer's tan isn't terrible yet. I suppose I'll do something about that, but I say that every year. Can't really worry about that for a week or so anyways.

Year's down the road, if I haven't told his story, the tattoo becomes not a promise, but a reminder of my failure, and I can't live with that. I'm scared, terrified, of telling this story. I'm selfish with it, and I'm afraid I won't do it justice. But that's not an excuse. I can't keep this one to myself, and if I intend to die without telling this story, better today than tomorrow. It's that important. So to you, Eryk Valen, and all of you, I will tell your stories. You just have to keep telling me yours.

Oh yeah, should note, the reaction from the folks; poor. The timing was both good in a way for me, but bad for them. Fortunately, other people's opinion of me and my actions matter little these days. That's one of the things my mother said; people would assume I'm a gun nut. The fact that that matters so much to her makes me a little sad, for her, but if people think I'm gung ho guns, more power to them. I've never even touched a gun, nor do I have any desire to do so. A lot of my characters, I want to experience what they do, but I have no need to experience anything Eryk Valen has felt. That's I guess why he's special, compared to the rest. He is in no way based off myself.

So I have the tattoo now. For starters, I will most likely tell those who helped make this happen the story to the best of my verbal abilities, I owe them that much. Eventually, I'll probably tell some of it here, and one day, I'm going to have it written all down, and it will be published, for all the world to know the story of the man who's so important to me. That is my dream, my goal, and my purpose. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Eryk Valen Is All Important

4 comments:

  1. If you didn't want me to tell Kellie, you should've told me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you not to tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tay! I looks fantastic, it really really does. I don't blog or know the ins and outs but it won't let me post, sorry I had to say "anonymous".

    - Steph

    ReplyDelete